Low Carb & Keto Peanut Butter Cup Ice Cream is a rich vanilla ice cream base that is loaded with sugar free Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups. This is the type of dessert that will satisfy your sweet tooth and have your family begging for more!
How To Make This Low Carb & Keto Peanut Butter Cup Ice Cream
Over the years I’ve shared many ice cream recipes on my blog from coffee flavors to fruity cheesecakes flavors so today I’m so happy to be adding this new Low Carb and Keto Peanut Butter Cup Ice Cream to that yummy line up.
Be sure to check out the bottom of this post for a list of more of my sugar free ice cream recipes. There are some great ones!
This ice cream turned out so amazing that my son is already asking me to make it again. So that always lets me know that the recipe was a hit. But how could it not be good with all that creamy rich ice cream and those yummy peanut butter cups from Lily’s.
With just a few basic ingredients and some Lily’s Peanut Butter Cups you’ll be on your way to a heavenly low carb and keto dessert. This would be a Trim Healthy Mama “S” dessert if you follow that way of eating.
The ice cream is super rich and decadent so just a small serving will be enough to satisfy your sweet tooth.
Here’s The Ingredients You’ll Need:
- Heavy Whipping Cream
- Almond Milk
- THM Super Sweet or Sweetener of Choice
- Egg Yolks
- Pinch of Salt
- Lily’s Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups
Luckily for me I can find all of this ingredients in my local grocery stores, yes even the Lily’s Peanut Butter Cups. They can be a little pricey for the amount of product you get but they are worth it for a special treat like this from time to time.
If you want to see more about these peanut butter cups you can check them out HERE.
Once you have shopped for your ingredients and you are ready to make this ice cream you’ll be surprised at how easy it can be. The first step is to combine all of the ingredients in a sauce pan over low heat and bring them to a light simmer.
Bringing the ice cream base up to a simmer helps ensure that the egg yolks in the ice cream are cooked enough to be safe to consume. If you have an egg allergy or you just want to skip the cooking step then you can leave them out and just mix the cream base up in blender and chill it. I really like the velvety texture the egg yolks give it but the ice cream will still be delicious if you need to leave them out.
After cooking the mixture the cooling and chilling portions of the recipe are the most important parts. Making sure the ice cream base is completely chilled helps churn better and faster when you add it to your ice cream maker.
Adding hot or even slightly warm milk base to a cold ice cream maker doesn’t end well, trust me on this one friends.
The churning times will vary based on what ice cream machine you have or choose to use and how cold your ice cream base was when you added it to your machine. Follow the directions provided in your brand of ice cream maker for best results.
I think the hardest part of this recipe is the last part, waiting for the ice cream to set. If you like a more soft serve texture then you are ready to mix in the Lily’s Peanut Butter Cups and serve.
But my family and I like ours to be a more frozen texture one that is preferably a little more hard. So after my ice cream has churned I layer it with the peanut butter cups into a freezer safe container and let it chill out in the freezer for several hours.
Not so long that it freezes solid, because like other low carb ice creams it will freezer solid, but just enough to make it scoopable. If you forget about the ice cream or want to eat it the next day and it is frozen solid just let it sit out on the counter for a bit.
I find that letting it sit out for about 30 to 45 minutes before you are ready to softens it up enough to scoop and serve.
How To Make Sure This Recipe Turns Out Successfully Each Time
With all the great and affordable ice cream makers out on the market and some pretty amazing low carb products out there like the Lily’s Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups making homemade ice cream is now easier than ever.
There is no reason to shy away from recipe like my Low Carb and Keto Peanut Butter Cup Ice Cream friends because trust me anyone can make this recipe. But just in case you need a little extra boost of confidence here are a few tips and tricks that will help.
- Always make sure your ice cream maker is chilled and ready to go. Making sure to follow the directions that were provided by your ice cream maker is important when it comes to a consistent churn. Click HERE to see the Ice Cream Maker I use.
- Remember to make sure the ice cream base has cooled completely after you have cooked it on the stove, then chill it at least an hour. The ice cream will churn so much faster when adding in the ice cream base completely cold. If you don’t have time to chill it for an hour just note it may take longer to churn in your ice cream maker but will still work.
- Taste your ingredients as you go to make sure you get the sweetness level to your liking. Remember to start with a little amount and work your way up. You can always add more but once it is over sweet there is no fixing that.
- This ice cream base contains egg yolks. The eggs make the ice cream texture rich and velvety so don’t skip them unless you have an egg allergy.
- Because the ice cream has egg yolks you will need to bring the cream and egg mixture up to light simmer to make sure the eggs are safe for consumption. I have used my fresh eggs from my chickens without simmering but I don’t recommend doing that with store bought eggs.
- For a creamier texture to your ice cream always have some heavy cream in the base mixture. Yes, this does add more fat, but the texture and mouthfeel of the churned ice cream are so much better when the cream is added. To cut calories in this ice cream I use half cream and half unsweetened almond milk.
- If you do need dairy-free ice cream, then try mixing canned coconut milk with the almond milk for the base. The texture will not be as creamy as the heavy whipping cream but will taste good. Yes, it will add a small coconut taste to the finished ice cream.
- This tip may not be for everyone lol, but to prevent your ice cream from freezing solid in the freezer some sites I researched online recommend adding a few tablespoons of alcohol, like a fruit liqueur to fruit-flavored ice cream, or maybe vodka when you don’t want an alcoholic flavor.
- If you are not a fan of the Lily’s Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups you can make your own Keto Peanut Butter Cups and add those instead by using the recipe from Northern Nester or these from Wholesome Yum.
Here Are Some Items That Are Handy When Making Ice Cream
Want More Low Carb, Keto, And THM Ice Cream Recipes?
Also if you are interested in more delicious low carb, keto, and Trim Healthy Mama ice creams be sure and check out these recipes after you’ve looked over this latest one. From Java Chip and Blueberry Cheesecake to dairy free options, I’ve got something for everyone here on the blog. Yum!
- Java Chip Ice Cream
- Chocolate Toffee Crunch
- Keto, Dairy Free, & Vegan Blackberry Ice Cream
- Coconut Cream Pie Ice Cream
- Blueberry Cheesecake Ice Cream
A decadently rich vanilla ice cream loaded with sugar free dark chocolate peanut butter cups from Lilly's.
- 2 cups Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 cup Unsweetened Almond Milk
- 2 large Egg Yolk, slightly beaten
- 1/4 cup + 1 Tablespoons Trim Healthy Mama Super Sweet Sweetener (or 1/2 cup Pyure)
- 1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla
- 6 of the Lily's Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups, chopped
- In a medium sauce pan add in all of the ingredients EXPECT the peanut butter cups and mix well.
- Let the mixture slowly come to a low simmer whisking often. Do not boil this ice cream mixture. This step is just to cook the egg yolks to a safe temperature.
- Remove the ice cream base from the heat and pour it into a bowl and let it cool completely before covering it and placing it in the fridge to chill.
- Once the vanilla ice cream base has chilled thoroughly pour it into your ice cream maker and churn the ice cream according to the directions for your machine.
- After the ice cream has churned add it to a freezer safe container and slowly fold in the chopped sugar free peanut butter cups.
- Serve as soft serve as is or place the ice cream in the freezer for a couple of hours to set to your desired consistency. This ice cream will freeze to a very hard state if left overnight. So allow it to soften some before serving if it frozen to hard and the ice cream can be scooped again.
I am a southern girl through and through that loves to laugh, cook, read and spend time with family. My passions outside of home schooling my son are ministering to those in need and creating art in the kitchen! Every day is an adventure in our little house and I wouldn’t trade it or the chance to share here with you for anything!