Salsa Verde Chicken, Simple Supper Series
This Salsa Verde Chicken is packed full of flavor and your whole family will enjoy it. I know mine sure does. A juicy baked chicken breast (or chicken thigh) topped with a creamy salsa topping and melty cheese, what’s not to love!
I have said many times here on the blog that I am always on a search for easy recipes that I can throw together quickly on my long workdays and this new chicken recipe fits that completely.
The entire recipe can be done in under 45 minutes and it can be adapted from low carb to low fat to fit your meal needs.
The recipe is a low-carb and high-fat recipe using chicken breasts or thighs. This option fits my family’s diet plan, however, with just a few easy ingredient swaps you can make this recipe into a low-fat meal option.
The way the recipe is written I use full-fat sour cream and cheese, a THM S meal for those that are following Trim Healthy Mama, but of course, when you are wanting to lighten things up a bit you can swap the sour cream out for a fat-free Greek Yogurt.
When doing the lower fat or lighter version the cheese can be left off entirely or switched to fat-free if you prefer. The lighter version would be a THM “E” meal again for those following the THM plan.
Fast and Flavorful
The recipe for this Salsa Verde Chicken truly could not be more simple. With five basic ingredients and forty-five minutes, you can have this delicious satisfying dish ready to feed your family on even the busiest days.
All of these ingredients are super easy to find and most you will likely have in your pantry already. Well maybe not the salsa verde, aka green salsa, unless you are obsessed with the stuff like I am lately!
For this Recipe You Will Need:
- boneless and skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- sour cream
- Salsa Verde
- Mexican Inspired Spices
- shredded cheese
These ingredients all come together to take your ordinary chicken to flavor town with just two easy steps. Preparing the chicken and sauce and baking. Quick and tasty my friends, my favorite combo!
On the weeks that I am working long hours at my day job, I have been known to make this dish a couple of times a week.
Thankfully my boys never complain, because it is one of their favorites. I love to pair this chicken dish with some steamed and buttered green beans or a beautiful crisp salad.
The freshness of those two options against the rich creamy goodness of this Salsa Verde Chicken works nicely. For the low-fat option, you could pair it with some cauliflower rice or even a baked sweet potato if you would like to have a few more carbs.
You really can’t go wrong with this recipe no matter if you choose to make it as is or use the low-fat options provided in the recipe card. It is truly delicious both ways!
Don’t forget to check out my recipe for the No Sugar Added Salsa Verde that I use in this recipe!
- 4-5 large boneless and skinless chicken breasts
For the Creamy Verda Sauce
- 16 ounces of Sour Cream
- 1 cup of No Sugar Added Salsa Verde
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon of onion powder
- 1 teaspoon of chili powder
- 1 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 1 1/2 cup of shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place the chicken in a baking dish and salt and pepper on both sides to your personal liking.
- Place the chicken in the oven and bake for 20 minutes. If your chicken breast is small bake for 15 minutes.
- While the chicken is baking mix the sour cream, Salsa Verde, and all of the spices together in a bowl and combines thoroughly.
- After your chicken breasts have baked for 20 min remove the dish from the oven to drain any excess juice from the baking dish.
- Top each chicken breast with some of the creamy salsa mixtures then sprinkle over the cheese.
- Return the chicken to the oven and bake another 15 minutes. The chicken needs to reach a temp of 165 degrees. Note for larger breast you may want to bake 20 minutes at this stage to ensure they are completely cooked through.
I am a southern girl through and through that loves to laugh, cook, read and spend time with family. My passions outside of home schooling my son are ministering to those in need and creating art in the kitchen! Every day is an adventure in our little house and I wouldn’t trade it or the chance to share here with you for anything!