A Delicious Breakfast Treat!
This Pineapple Oatmeal Bar recipe makes a great treat for breakfast paired with a couple of egg whites or even a yummy snack with your afternoon coffee.
It is low-fat, gluten-free and it makes a great E fuel if you follow Trim Healthy Mama.
Lately, the stores in my area have had these beautiful pineapples on sale for 98 cents each and if you have been around the blog log, you know I love a bargain find!
With that price and the fact that my son and I love fresh pineapple, I have picked up a few with my groceries the last couple weeks.
Pineapple is higher on the glycemic index so we like to enjoy it in small portions and with a nice lean protein source to avoid a sugar spike. Since the pineapple can last a little while in the fridge I cut it up in snack portions, but I also wanted to find other ways to use it.
So one morning I was working on my weekly breakfast menus and decided it would be nice to have a yummy sweet bread-like recipe to enjoy before heading to work or our home school park days.
Normally I would do a healthy blueberry baked oatmeal or banana bread, but since that particular week I had picked up the pineapple instead of bananas I thought, why not, and these Pineapple Oatmeal Bars were born.
Recipe Identity Crisis
It is so moist and delicious thanks to the moisture added by the fruit. It is a cross between baked oatmeal and a quick bread so I wasn’t sure what to call them but after way too much thinking I just went with bars, even though they are not your typical bar shape.
I have now made this recipe twice and though it doesn’t rise up like I wish it would it has become a nice treat to have on stand-by. The mixture is super easy to pull together and a basic recipe that doesn’t call for any fancy ingredients.
When I baked mine for this post I had a few more oats left in my container so I sprinkled them over the top, but that step is totally optional.
After baking the bars I lie to cut my loaf into seven to eight nice size pieces and my favorite way to eat it is for breakfast with coffee and a couple of scrambled egg whites with veggies.
Come visit my social media pages!
- 1 1/4 cups of dices fresh pineapple
- 1/3 cup of almond milk
- 4 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup of fat free Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup of Pyure Brand Sweetener or 2/3 cup of THM Gentle Sweet
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 3/4 cups of oat flour
- 1/4 cup of whey protein
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp salt
- In a blender add in the fresh pineapple and almond milk. Pulse the mixture a few times until the pineapple is in very small pieces but not completely pureed.
- Add the pineapple mixture to the mixing bowl and add the egg whites, Greek yogurt, apple cider vinegar, and sweetener. Mix until well combined.
- In a separate bowl add the dry ingredients: oat flour, whey protein, baking powder, cinnamon, ground ginger, salt, and then whisk together.
- With your mixture on low slowly add your dry ingredients to your wet ingredients.
- Spray your standard-size loaf pan with cooking spray and pour your batter into the pan.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 375 for about 50 to 55 minutes. A toothpick will come out clean when the bread is ready.
- When baked place the bread on a cooling rack and let it cool completely before cooling. Yields about 8 slices.
Serving Size1 slice
Amount Per ServingCalories 147Total Fat 2gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 1mgSodium 248mgCarbohydrates 23gNet Carbohydrates 21gFiber 2gSugar 6gProtein 9g
I am not a nutritionist. If you have strict dietary needs I always recommend using an online nutrition calculator to calculate your totals using your exact brands you're using in this recipe as values may vary per brand.
I am a southern girl through and through that loves to laugh, cook, read and spend time with family. My passions outside of home schooling my son are ministering to those in need and creating art in the kitchen! Every day is an adventure in our little house and I wouldn’t trade it or the chance to share here with you for anything!