When it comes to side dishes I like to have a few up my sleeve that are easy to throw together for those times when we have unexpected company drop in. In order for a dish to win a spot in my quick fix arsenal it needs to be made with simple ingredients that I can usually find in my pantry and be fast.
Let’s Make Mushroom Brown Rice
This quick Mushroom Brown Rice is made with only four main ingredients, if you don’t count the spices. All the ingredients are things I usually have on hand. You know what is even better? It can be finished in about 30 minutes!
The brown rice can sometimes take almost an hour to cook on the stove so to save time I use instant brown rice for this recipe. I like to sauté my mushrooms and onions and add them to the broth.
Then bring it all to boil and add in the rice to cook in this flavorful broth. I think this method imparts the most flavor. You might have to adjust the liquid/rice ratio so just check the directions on the back of your box and adjust your amounts of rice and broth as they may vary from mine below.
I have also made it with long grain brown rice when I didn’t have instant and it was just as amazing. Again, just follow the water to rice ratio on the rice you choice A quick fix recipe was my goal so instant rice took center stage.
This is a very simple but tasty way to jazz up brown rice. Though it is simple I bet it will make your family or those unexpected guests pretty happy when you serve it.
This recipe is low-fat, gluten-free and will fit nicely into an “E” meal if you follow the Trim Healthy Mama plan. You can also use a vegetable stock here to make it vegan friendly if needed.
- 3 cups instant brown rice
- 2 (14 oz) cans fat-free beef broth ( or veggie broth for vegetarian version)
- 8 ounces of Baby Portobello Mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup of chopped red onions
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil for cooking mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Saute the mushrooms and onions in the olive oil until tender.
- Add your mushroom and onions along with your beef broth to a sauce pan and bring to a boil.
- Add in the three cups of rice (or enough for 6 servings per your box) and bring back to a boil.
- Reduce heat and cover. Simmer until your rice has absorbed all the broth. Mine took about 25 minutes. Note: prepare your rice according to the package just replace the water it calls for with fat free beef broth. My brand worked with with the amount of broth I have listed in this recipe.
I am a southern girl through and through that loves to laugh, cook, read and spend time with family. My passions outside of home schooling my son are ministering to those in need and creating art in the kitchen! Every day is an adventure in our little house and I wouldn’t trade it or the chance to share here with you for anything!