My Mexican Shrimp and Rice is any seafood lovers dream! It’s a easy and delicious recipe that features juicy sautéed shrimp, hearty brown rice, fire roasted tomatoes, a few fresh veggies, and lots of tasty Mexican inspired spices! Another simple meal that can be ready in around an hour!
I can testify that this new recipe is super yummy, filling, and so beautiful! I mean come on look at those deep rich colors. If you are a shrimp fan and give it a try you’ll want to add it into your meal rotation often.
My Saucy Shrimp and Rice is a low fat dish that works well for those looking for meals that may contain a slightly higher carb count from the brown rice, those that enjoy a lower fat protein source like juicy shrimp, and of course for everyone that just loves lots of flavor!
If you follow a low fat diet, or are just looking for some new “E” meals on your Trim Healthy Mama plan then this recipe is one you’ll need to make soon because it will check all your boxes!
I’m also pleased to say this recipe also makes a great Lent option and for our Orthodox Christian friends it is one you can enjoy for not only some days during Great Lent but also during the Nativity Fast.
But no matter the reason you are making this recipe, you’ll be so glad you did because it is amazing! So what are you waiting for?
Here’s What You’ll Need
- Shrimp – two pounds of peeled, deveined, and tail off shrimp. I like to use the medium size shrimp in this recipe.
- Cooked Brown Rice – The recipe calls for 1 1/2 cups or dry brown rice which will result in about 4 1/2-5 cups of cooked rice. This recipe makes a very large skillet full.
- Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes – I like to use the fire roasted version because I love the charred favor that the tomatoes have. I think it just gives the tomatoes a much richer ands smoky flavor. But you can use any canned diced tomatoes you have on hand, even Rotel if you want to spice things up a bit.
- Onions and Bell Peppers – this recipe included one large onion, one yellow bell pepper, and one red bell pepper. Choose the larger ones all three, the more veggies, the more flavor.
- Spices – I called this dish Mexican Shrimp & Rice because I use a combination of spices that remind me of all the wonderful tastes of Mexican Food. You need Cumin, Chili Powder, Smoked Paprika, salt, and pepper.
- Fresh Garlic – 3 cloves of peeled fresh garlic, crushed. You can you 1 teaspoon of garlic powder if you don’t have fresh, but I love using fresh garlic for a flavor punch!
Simple but delicious ingredients come together in this dish pretty quickly to make a wonderful dinner for any night of the week.
How Do You Make Mexican Shrimp and Rice?
There are only a few step to this recipe, making it great for nights when you need a meal in around an hour. You can also make it ahead and just reheat it when it is time for dinner.
Before you jump into preparing the main portion of the dish, you’ll need to prepare your brown rice per your package instructions and get it started cooking before you start these next steps of making the Mexican Shrimp and Rice.
I use brown rice in this recipe but you can use whatever kind fits your dietary needs or preferred tastes. You can even use the quick cook minute brown rice if you want to save time while making this recipe.
Here’s the Step By Step Directions
Step 1: Take out a very large skillet and begin making the Mexican Tomato Sauce that will be the main flavoring agent in this recipe.
In a large skillet, cook down the onions and peppers that you have chopped with fire roasted tomatoes and spices. This will be the saucy base to this recipe and it is so tasty.
You’ll also add in the Mexican flavor with the spices in this stage as well so they can develop. I start my sauce when my brown rice has about 25-30 minutes left to cook.
Step 2: Add in the shrimp to the sauce so they can cook through. This step will not take long at all.
This will only take about 5 to 6 minutes since shrimp are a protein that cook very quickly. Over cooking the shrimp will make them tough and chewy and nobody likes that!
If you are using frozen shrimp you’ll need to thaw them first and drain them very well. If the shrimp you are using are already cooked before you add them into the sauce they will only need to be warmed through instead of cooked so just warming them through for 2-3 minutes.
Step 3: Add in the cooked rice and stir well. This step is pretty self explanatory.
After your brown rice is cooked you simply add it into the shrimp and sauce and stir it in very well until all the rice is coated in the yummy shrimp and tomato sauce.
I recommend taking a taste the Mexican Shrimp and Rice at this point to determine if you need to add any additional seasonings for your likings. It may need a bit more salt after all the rice is added, or perhaps you can throw in some spice to jazz it up a bit.
That’s it you guys, this recipe is so simple and wonderfully tasty! All that is left to do is to serve and enjoy it and that’s my favorite part! If you are a fan of shrimp recipe you can also check out my other recipes for these shellfish below!
An easy shrimp and rice dish with wonderful Mexican Inspired flavors. You'll enjoy all the juicy shrimp and the tender veggies mixed with brown rice and a delicious fire roasted tomato sauce.
- 2 pounds peeled and cooked scrimp
- 1 1/2 cups dry brown rice
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 (14 ounces) cans of diced Fire Roasted Tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons of chili powder
- 2 teaspoons of cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- To prepare the brown rice according to the directions on the back of the package. Using 1 1/2 cups of dry rice will roughly yield 4 1/2 to 5 cups of riced needed for this recipe.
- When the rice has about 30 minutes left to cook it is time to get started on the Mexican style sauce that will flavor the rice.
- Add the 1 Tablespoon of coconut oil to a large skillet or pot and toss in the chopped onions, bell peppers, and the garlic. Sautee these until they begin to get tender but not mushy.
- Next add in the two cans of Fire Roasted Tomatoes, all the spices, and the salt and pepper to taste. Let this simmer for about 5 minutes and taste the sauce to make sure it has enough seasoning for your liking. Add more if needed.
- Once the sauce has simmered add in the shrimp and stir well so all the shrimp is coated the sauce and cook for another 5 minutes. Keep warm until the rice is ready.
- When the rice is done cooking add 4 to 5 cups of the cooked rice into your shrimp and tomatoes and stir well.
- Lastly after all the rice has been mixed in you can taste again to determined if more salt is need. Serve hot.
I am a southern girl through and through that loves to laugh, cook, read and spend time with family. My passions outside of home schooling my son are ministering to those in need and creating art in the kitchen! Every day is an adventure in our little house and I wouldn’t trade it or the chance to share here with you for anything!