A Simple Grain Free Low Carb Granola Makes A Great Start!
I love caramel and toffee so I thought one night why not put those flavors with one of my favorite treats, granola. Not all my random thoughts come through for me but this one was a hit here in our house!
This treat is even grain free and for those that follow the THM plan it will fall into the S snack because of the good fats in the granola and toffee sauce.
There are a few steps to this recipe but none of they are not complicated. A bonus here is that if you use the Hershey’s Sugar Free Chocolate Chips in place of the Lily’s chips then there are no hard to find ingredients. How great is that?
First you will need to make a batch of my grain free Granola Cereal and let it cool completely. You could even do the granola the day before to save time.
We use this granola as our breakfast cereal so I like to have it on hand most of the time. If you haven’t tried it for breakfast, with almond milk, you really should!
I don’t like to toot my horn but this granola cereal has been a big hit with my family and here on the blog too, so that makes it worth a “toot, toot” in my book! Trust me my friends.
How to Make the Granola Toffee
Once you have your granola ready you will need to add two cups of it to a baking sheet that will fit in your freezer. I suggest covering your baking sheet in foil and greasing it well to prevent sticking.
To make your toffee sauce add your butter to a pan over medium heat. Don’t leave the stove during the toffee process because it can burn quickly.
Continue cooking your butter until it turns slightly brown. Once you start to see the brown add in your sweetener, vanilla and heavy cream. Be careful because the toffee will bubble up a bit when you add these ingredients.
You just need to let the toffee continue to cook and bubble away for about 8 minutes. Remember, stir all the time and do not leave this unattended.
After the toffee has boiled for the allotted time then you are ready to pour it carefully over the granola. Make sure you get some toffee on all the granola.
Once you have added all your toffee sauce to the granola press it down in the pan with a spoon being careful not to burn yourself. The toffee sauce is extremely hot, trust me it leaves a painful reminder if it touches you. Ouch!
The granola will needs to go in the freezer to set for about 45-60 minutes. Once it sets it should peel right off the foil (if you greased it well) and you can start breaking it up into pieces.
Store these heavenly treats in the fridge or freezer and in an air tight container. This is a softer toffee so if left out it might get to warm and fall apart.
Oh, I suggest you make a double batch of if you want them to last very long. Or you could hide and enjoy them before the family comes asking you to share.
Before you ask, yes I may have been known to hide some in my 7 1/2 years of motherhood. Don’t tell me you haven’t had anything that you didn’t want to share.
What about just enjoying one bite before those little hands were reaching for it? Maybe it is just me that needs those moments. But weather you need those little moments alone or not I am so happy to share the recipe with you and I hope you enjoy it.
A sweet and crunchy snack that combines a low carb and grain free granola cereal with a sugar free buttery toffee.
- 1 batch of my Granola Cereal Recipe
- 1 stick of butter
- 1/3 cup of Pyure Brand Sweetener
- 2 Tablespoons of Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla
- Prepare the granola as directed in the recipe (linked above).
- Spray cooking spray on a baking sheet and spread two cups of the You can line the pan with parchment paper or foil if you would like for easier clean up. Note: Make sure the pan will fit in your freezer.
- For the toffee sauce place the butter in a sauce pan over medium heat. Melt the butter and cook until it starts to get brown. Stir often.
- Once the butter has browned some add the vanilla, sweetener and heavy cream. Be careful because the sauce will bubble up when adding them.
- Boil the mixture for about 8 minutes at a steady boil but stir constantly. DO NOT LEAVE THE STOVE. It can burn quickly if not watched.
- Once it is ready slowly drizzle the toffee mixture all over the granola making sure to get all of the granola covered in the toffee. After adding all the toffee sauce carefully press the granola down into the sauce.
- Place pan in the freezer and let chill for 45-60 minutes. Remove from the freezer and break into pieces.
- Store any left overs in air tight containers and keep them in the fridge.
I am a southern girl through and through that loves to laugh, cook, read and spend time with family. My passions outside of home schooling my son are ministering to those in need and creating art in the kitchen! Every day is an adventure in our little house and I wouldn’t trade it or the chance to share here with you for anything!