My easy, Low Carb Breakfast Enchiladas are filled with traditional breakfast ingredients then smothered in a yummy creamy cheese sauce! They make the perfect brunch or special occasion dish and you can assemble the night before and bake the next day.
Great for Brunch or Special Occasions!
These Low Carb Breakfast Enchiladas have been one of my family’s favorites over the last couple of months. Which is totally understandable because we’ve never been known to pass up any type of enchiladas if I’m being honest.
In fact, we love them so much that we have them once a month for dinner or lunch. We’d eat them more often but my husband and I try not to overdo it on the low carb wraps. On the occasions that we do eat them, we stick to the smaller low carb tortillas from the Missions brand that have about 3 net carbs each.
Our favorite low carb (and THM “S”) version of enchiladas comes from my friend Sara over at Mrs. Criddles Kitchen. She actually has two tasty recipes called Sour Cream Beef Enchiladas and Easy Chicken Enchilada.
We actually use a combination of her two recipes. I use her sour cream sauce from the beef recipe on top of the chicken enchiladas. They are both super delicious and after you finish taking a look at this precipe jump over and check her two recipes out if you haven’t tried them. They even make great leftovers for breakfast!
I’m always looking for new breakfast recipes that my family since we get sick of plain eggs. Egg burn out is real you guys and it can totally happen on a low carb or Trim Healthy Mama sometimes, well at least for me it happens.
So with inspirations from Sarah’s recipes combined with our love of breakfast burritos I set out to create these Low Carb Breakfast Enchiladas. Yes, there is still eggs involved but I promise you no burn out here because they are much more exciting than plain scrambled eggs!
So Many filling Options!
There are a ton of possibilities for the filling for my amazing enchiladas which make them a great recipe to adapt to your favorite tastes. I’ll share a few here to give you some inspiration for your own spin one these Breakfast Enchiladas. With any ingredients you choose you won’t be sorry, they are so delicious!
- Not a Fan of Pork? If pork is not your thing, swap it out for turkey bacon or chicken-based sausage.
- Don’t eat meat? No problem! Simply replace the meat with more veggies.
- Want to add some spice? Use a can of green chilies in the cheese sauce or toss in some minced jalapeno peppers into the eggs.
- Try different Veggies. These enchiladas would be great filled with spinach, kale sauteed squash, mushrooms, cooked radishes, or steamed broccoli.
- You can substitute low carb tortillas for your preferred low carb wraps. You could use any low carb tortilla recipe you find online or the wonderful THM Wonder Wraps if you want to avoid gluten in the Mission Tortillas.
- Change up the cheese in the sauce. If you don’t like Monterey Jack cheese or if you simply don’t have it on hand you can substitute white/yellow cheddar or pepper jack cheese.
- Would you like to save a little time? I’ve even made these Low Carb Breakfast Enchiladas a little more simple at times but layering the tortillas like a casserole instead of rolling up each one. The ingredients and processes are the same except instead of rolling you place three tortillas between each layer of eggs and other fillings then some cheese sauce. Finish it off with the rest of the sauce and some extra shredded cheese and there ya go Breakfast Enchiladas…casserole-style! Check out the picture below..so yummy!
- Add Additional Toppings. This dish is amazing by itself but if you want a little jazz, then try topping them with sour cream, salsa, chopped green onions.
Making These Low Carb Breakfast Enchiladas
There are several steps to making these enchiladas like making the cheese sauce, preparing your breakfast fillings, and assembling the enchiladas for the oven. But trust me none of them are hard. All you need is about an hour and your ingredients to complete this recipe.
The first step is to make the yummy cheese sauce for the recipe. All the ingredients are placed in a saucepan over medium heat and cooked until all the cheeses are melted. How simple is that?
While the cheese sauce cools you can begin making your filling for your enchiladas. The main ingredients like the bacon/sausage and eggs can be cooked separately then combined for an easier process of filling the tortillas.
The filling and rolling processes are just as easy as they sound. Start by taking a low carb tortilla or wrap of your choice and adding a generous portion of the egg mixture to the center. Then fold both ends over and roll it as tight as you would a burrito.
Lastly, place the enchiladas into your baking dish and told with the cheese sauce before baking for thirty-five minutes. Oh, my friends, they will smell so good baking!
Remember, I mentioned earlier that you can also save a little time by layering this dish like a family-style casserole instead of rolling each enchilada individually. The picture above is what it looks like when it is layered into the 9 x13 glass baking dish. If you prefer doing it casserole-style it will shave about 5-10 minutes off of your prep time.
My son has deemed these breakfast enchiladas his favorite meal. He is often the biggest critic when it comes to breakfast foods in our family. So anytime he chooses a breakfast recipe I create as his favorite neal I know it is a winner and blog-worthy!
A deliciously filling Breakfast Enchilada that is full of scrambled eggs, bacon, onions, and peppers rolled in low carb wraps and smothered with a cheesy sauce. This is the perfect breakfast for a weekend or any special occasion.
- 1 1/2 c of chicken broth
- 1/2 c of heavy cream
- 8 oz of cream cheese
- 8 oz of shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
- 1/2 tsp of garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp of onion powder
- 1 dozen eggs
- 1 lb chopped bacon or breakfast sausage
- 1 c of onion and bell peppers
- 8 small low carb tortillas or wrap of choice
- 1/2 c of shredded cheese of choice for topping
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- To begin making the cheese sauce by adding the chicken brother, cream, cream cheese, and seasoning to a saucepan and place over medium heat. Heat the mixture, stirring often, until the cream cheese is melted. Do not let the mixture boil.
- Once the cream cheese is melted add in the 2 cups of shredded cheese and whisk the cheese sauce until it is all melted and smooth. Remove it from the heat and prepare the enchiladas.
- Start the enchilada filling by cooking your bacon or sausage and draining any excess fat from the Pan. Reserve a little fat for scrambling the eggs, If using bacon simply chop the bacon into small pieces after cooking. You can also use 1 cup of real bacon bits if you want to save time.
- Add in the eggs along with the onions and peppers to the skillet with some of the fat drippings from your sausage or bacon. Scramble the eggs until they are cooked. If you prepare you can use 1 Tbsp of oil of your choice here.
- To assemble the Breakfast Enchiladas, start by placing a little of the cheese sauce on the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish.
- Then take one low carb wrap and add some of the scrambled egg fillings and place it in the center. Fold the ends in and roll the wrap up like a burrito and place it in the baking dish.
- Finish this process with the remaining 7 low carb wraps placing each in your dish as you go. Remember to give each one a nice portion of the filing.
- Once you have all the enchiladas done, pour the remaining cheese sauce over the top evenly. Make sure each enchilada is covered in some sauce.
- Top with the 1/2 cup of shredded cheese and bake for 35 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Serve hot.
I am a southern girl through and through that loves to laugh, cook, read and spend time with family. My passions outside of home schooling my son are ministering to those in need and creating art in the kitchen! Every day is an adventure in our little house and I wouldn’t trade it or the chance to share here with you for anything!