This Lemon Rosemary Roasted Butternut Squash is so flavorful. It is the perfect low-fat side dish to compliment any lean protein of your choosing. The squash is perfectly roasted and the natural sweetness it works so well with the tartness from the lemon and Rosemary.
We eat a ton of veggies in our house and one of our all-time favorites is the butternut squash. This squash is a starchier cousin to the yellow or zucchini squash so it falls into the higher carb group like a sweet potato. In fact, this recipe is like my Cilantro-Lime Sweet Potato recipe!
This new squash recipe and the sweet potatoes I mentioned work nicely in the “E” meal if you follow the Trim Healthy Mama diet or for anyone looking for a healthy low-fat side dish.
This past summer we tried our hand at growing some of our beloved winter squash and we did really well for our first attempt. Well, we grew 12 and they didn’t get huge, but hey not bad. Considering I normally kill houseplants, ha!
We hope to grow more next summer so we can enjoy this recipe and others using butternut squash. Like the savory mashed squash I make. Oh, and I want to try my hand at making a butternut squash soup next.
Crazy enough, as much as I love this squash I have never made Butternut Squash Soup. So I need to remedy that soon!
There are so many ways to prepare it, so I would love to hear what your favorite recipe using this tasty vegetable is. If you haven’t tried it, I highly recommend you give it a try.
Want to pick one up for this recipe? This squash is classified under the “winter squash” group but it can be found in most grocery stores year around. Here’s a little trivia for you the title “winter squash” was given to this veggie because it is a very hearty squash and though it is grown in the warmer months it will last all winter if stored correctly.
I hope you enjoy this simple but delicious side dish around your table soon, I know you will enjoy it when you do! Stay tuned to the blog here for more simple and tasty recipes to come.
If you are new to the blog, thank you for stopping by and I hope you like what you see here and that you will enjoy this recipe and all the others you can find in my Recipe Index!
Oh, and before I go, I wanted to share that if you love butternut squash as much as I do you also need to check these other recipes linked below. The recipes are from some of my blogging friends and trust me, they are some keepers!
Butternut Squash Soup from The Northern Nester
Butternut Oat Muffins from Mrs. Criddles’s Kitchen
Savory Roasted Butternut Squash from Oh Sweet Mercy
A flavorful roasted butternut squash that makes an amazing side dish to any protein.
- 3 lbs. of Butternut Squash, peeled and cubed
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 large lemon, juiced
- 2 Tbsp of THM Super Sweet or Erythritol and Stevia Blend
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tsp rosemary, chopped extra fine
- Place the cubed butternut squash into a large bowl and set aside.
- In a smaller bowl combine the melted coconut oil, lemon juice, and rosemary. Mix well.
- Pour the lemon mixture over the squash and sprinkle with the sweetener. Toss well until all the pieces are coated.
- Pour the butternut squash onto a large baking sheet in one equal layer. If you only have a small baking sheet divide this amount onto two baking sheets.
- Place the squash into the preheated oven and bake for 30 minutes before removing the pan from the oven and stirring the squash. If the squash is soft enough and browned to your liking you can remove it from the oven and serve.
- For a more evenly caramelized squash, return it to the oven after stirring and bake for an addition 10 minutes. We like our this way!
I am a southern girl through and through that loves to laugh, cook, read and spend time with family. My passions outside of home schooling my son are ministering to those in need and creating art in the kitchen! Every day is an adventure in our little house and I wouldn’t trade it or the chance to share here with you for anything!