My Instant Pot Beef Tips and Mushrooms is the perfect low-carb comfort food! This hearty dish will be a hit around your family table with all the deep, rich, and beefy flavor.
A tasty meal featuring tender beef tips and plump mushrooms all coated in a savory gravy. It’s amazing served over a bowl of cauliflower mash!
Instant Pot Beef Tips and Mushrooms: A Stick to Your Ribs Kind of Recipe!
I’m so excited to bring you this latest recipe which is low-carb comfort food at its best. It is a mouthwatering combination of a rich brown mushroom sauce and tender cubes of sirloin steak. Are you drooling yet?
It is such a great example of a recipe that hits the spot on a cozy evening around our home! It is one of our favorites and I hope you enjoy it as well.
As you can tell by the title of the recipe it is made in the Instant Pot and even though it only takes about an hour or so to prepare, your family will think it took you much longer.
All the ingredients are easily found at your local grocery store which is always an added plus, but I will say that the beef I use when I make this recipe can be a little more expensive than ground beef but it is a worthy treat.
I love the ratio of fat to lean in Sirloin Tips so that is what I use but if you want to save some expense or want to use what you have on hand you can swap it out or perhaps shop for a less pricey cut of beef.
Although other cuts will taste amazing too, keep in mind that if you choose to go with a tougher cut of meat such as stew meat or a cubed-up roast, this will need to increase your cooking time in your Instant Pot.
This will be important to make sure the beef gets tender enough. Check your Instant Pot for the cooking times for any other meats if you go that route.
Here’s What You’ll Need for This Recipe
- Tops Sirloin or Sirloin Beef Tips – I purchased Top Sirloin Steaks and cut them up into one-inch cubes but you can often find them cut up already in the grocery store labeled as Sirloin Tips.
- Beef Broth – this will add a deep rich flavor to the recipe when it combines with the natural juices the meat and mushrooms will release during cooking.
- Mushrooms – mushrooms play a dual role in this recipe, they add a wonderful earthy flavor to the gravy and they also add a great texture to the dish. They have a tender bounce to them that pairs well with the fall-apart beef.
- Onions – half of an onion chopped and sautéed with the beef is just another great flavor addition. You can add more if desired but I just kept it to half to minimize added carbs.
- Worcestershire – just a little bit is delicious when paired with both the beef and mushrooms. This has a few added carbs so if you want to reduce the amount used you can, but since this makes many portions I think the carbs even out enough to make it worth the extra flavor.
- Spices – a great combination of salt, pepper, onion powder, and some fresh crushed garlic all make this dish pop with bold flavors. Start with my recommendations and then taste and adjust as needed.
Of course, if any of these ingredients don’t work for you or your family then they are easily adapted if you would like. Feel free to make this dish to your preferred tastes.
Let’s Talk About How to Make This Instant Pot Beef Tips and Mushrooms
Unlike some Instant Pot recipes that are just tossed in and forgotten, this one does have a few steps that are needed to build the flavor of the overall recipe.
Don’t worry, even though there are a few extra steps, they are simple and all fairly quick. In this next portion of the post, we’ll take some time to go over the cooking process step by step.
Step 1: Gather and Chop Ingredients
In this step, I take my Sirloin steak that I purchased and cut it into about 1-inch cubes (or as close as I can get) to make sure they all cook evenly in a 15-minute cook time in the Instant Pot.
If you want to save a little time you can purchase the Beef Sirloin Tips that are already cut up at your stores.
Along with the beef, I also chop up the onion and quarter the mushrooms.
After all the chopping is done all that is left in this step is to mince the garlic and set it aside.
Step 2: Sautee the Beef Tips in the Instant Pot
Turn the Instant Pot on Sautee and add in some coconut oil to brown the beef and onions.
You can do it all at once but if you have the time I highly suggest that you take a few minutes to brown the meat in smaller batches.
I think it just adds some added flavor when I have time.
Next add in the crushed garlic, Worcestershire Sauce, and the other spices.
All of these spices along with the tang of the Worcestershire sauce will help build the amazing flavor in the gravy.
Step 3: Adding the Beef Broth and Mushrooms
Once you’ve browned the beef tips and onions, next you’ll need to pour in the beef broth and add in all of the quartered mushrooms.
Place the lid on the Instant Pot and cook on Manuel for 15 Minutes.
After the 15 minutes is finished let the pressure naturally release for 10 minutes before doing a rapid release on the remaining pressure.
Step 4: Thickening the Beef Gravy
In this fourth and final step, you will remove the Instant Pot lid and transfer all the Beef Tips and Mushrooms to a bowl.
Then using your favorite low-carb thickener you can thicken the beef juice in the pot to make a very tasty and rich gravy.
Here are a couple of Options for Thickening:
- Xanthum Gum
With either of these thickeners “a little dab will do you” is the term they use and it is so true. To thicken the sauce turn the Instant Pot back to Sautee Mode and when the broth comes to a boil, whisk in your thickener.
Start with just a little thickener, like 1/2 teaspoon, and briskly whisk the whole time you are adding the thickener to prevent gelling.
Step 5: Add the Beef and Mushrooms Back into the thickened gravy.
After the gravy has reached your desired thickness simply add the Beef Tips and Mushrooms back into the now thickened gravy and heat for a couple of minutes to bring the meat back to temperature.
Now, this is the best part! Serve and enjoy! My family loves to spoon this hearty dish over loaded mashed cauliflower but you can also have it over cauliflower rice.
I’m going to brag a little hear and say it is so delicious!
It makes a very satisfying meal on a cold night and since it is pretty easy I don’t mind making it any night of the week when my family asks for it. I think I may need to stock up on some beef tips!
I hope you and your family enjoy this recipe as much as we do!
Instant Pot Beef Tips and Mushrooms is the perfect comfort food and it is great for any night of the week! It is hearty with that perfect rich and savory flavor of beef and gravy with plump juicy mushrooms.
- 2 pounds of Sirloin Steak, cut in 1 inch cubes
- 1 1/4 cups of low sodium Beef Broth
- 1 Tablespoon of Coconut or Olive Oil
- 12 ounces of Brown Mushroom, cut in fourths.
- 1/2 of a Large Onion, chopped
- 4 Large Cloves of Fresh Garlic, minced
- 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
- 1.5 teaspoons of salt
- 1.5 teaspoons of onion powder
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
- Low Carb Thickener of Choice, optional
- Cut the beef into 1 inch cubes, then chop the onion and cut the mushrooms up into halves or into fourths if they are larger mushrooms.
- Add the 1 Tablespoon of oil to the Instant Pot and turn it on sauté and let the pot get hot.
- Next toss in the chopped onion, the beef cubes. Sautee all the ingredients until the meet has browned. If you have time, you can do this in smaller batch so you can get some pretty brown coloration on each peace of meat. But it isn't necessary if you don't have time.
- Once the meat is browned pour in the beef broth, garlic and the spices.
- Next add all the chopped mushroom on top of the beef. Do not stir.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot and using the Manual setting add 15 minutes on the time and let it cook. If you are using a tough cut of meat like stew meat or roast pieces you may need to add more time to the cooking to make the meat tender. But I find 15 minutes and slow release work well for Sirloin Tips.
- Once the Instant Pot finishes the 15 minutes let it naturally release pressure for at least 10 minutes before switching to rapid release.
- At this point you can thicken your gravy with your favorite low carb thickener like Glucci, or Xantum Gum if you prefer a thicker style. If you want to thicken it remove the meat and mushrooms from the Instant Pot and turn it to Sautee. Let it come to a boil and slower whisk in your desired thickener. When it has reached your level of thickness you will return the beef and mushroom back into the gravy and let it heat a bit before serving.
- Serve the Instant Pot Beef Tips and Mushrooms over Loaded Mash Cauliflower for a very delicious and filling meal!
Serving Size1/6th of Recipe
Amount Per ServingCalories 275Total Fat 8gTrans Fat 0gCholesterol 77mgSodium 160mgCarbohydrates 6.3gNet Carbohydrates 4.3gFiber 2gSugar 3gProtein 37.5g
I am not a nutritionist. If you have strict dietary needs I always recommend using an online nutrition calculator to calculate your totals using your exact brands you're using in this recipe as values may vary per brand.
I am a southern girl through and through that loves to laugh, cook, read and spend time with family. My passions outside of home schooling my son are ministering to those in need and creating art in the kitchen! Every day is an adventure in our little house and I wouldn’t trade it or the chance to share here with you for anything!