These Cilantro Lime Sweet Potatoes make the perfect roasted side to grilled chicken breast or turkey burgers. They are low-fat, vegan, and a wonderful THM “E” side dish.
When it comes to the carbs, I am very selective about which ones I will add into our meal plans. I like to choose healthy veggies that pack a lot of nutrition with the carbs and I avoid processed carbs because they are so bad for us and of course, they wreak havoc on my body.
Growing up in the south, and in my home state of Arkansas, sweet potato dishes were a common side. Arkansas grows lots of sweet potatoes so they were easy to find locally if not in my dad’s garden. They have always been a favorite of mine.
Dishes of candied sweet potatoes, marshmallow-topped casseroles, and sweet potato pies could always found be at family gatherings or holiday meals. So’s no wonder I love this potato and it’s pretty obvious why I am a journey to finding healthier ways to enjoy them, right? Those dishes are so delicious but loaded with processed sugars.
Since beginning my weight loss journey and learning to separate my carbs and fat, the days of enjoying a baked sweet potato loaded with butter, cinnamon, and brown sugar are long gone. But thankfully, I can still enjoy my orange veggies without adding to my waist line.
I now enjoy my sweet potatoes with less than a teaspoon of fat, which means finding new ways to cook this favorite orange veggie of mine is a must because let’s face it, who wants a dry potato without tons of butter? Yea, me either!
I now have to enjoy my sweet potatoes with less than a teaspoon of fat, which means finding new ways to cook this favorite orange veggie of mine is a must because let’s face it, who wants a dry potato without tons of butter? Yea, me either!
These Cilantro Lime Sweet Potatoes are a great way to change-up things when you are looking for a healthy side dish. The natural sweetness of the potatoes pair so well with the tartness of the lime.
The addition of the cilantro and cumin adds a rich savory aspect that brings this dish together. I promise you will not miss all that butter and sugar with these potatoes. I sure didn’t!
These roasted beauties are simple and have become my latest favorite side dish. They can be made ahead or thrown together quickly for a fast dinner side.
The last time I made them I claimed the leftovers before we even got up from the dinner table. I’m glad I did too because they were a yummy treat with my egg whites that next morning!
Come visit my social media pages!
A savory side dish that is low fat and delicious. These roasted sweet potatoes are packed with flavor thanks to the tangy zip from the lime juice and fresh cilantro.
- 2 pounds of Sweet Potatoes, peeled
- 3 Tablespoons of Lime Juice
- 2 Tablespoons of Fresh Cilantro
- 1 Tablespoons of Avocado Oil
- 1 teaspoon of Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Peel the sweet potatoes and cut each one into cubes that are about 1/2 to 1 inch big. The goal is to get them as close in size as possible so they cook evenly.
- In a small bowl add in the melted coconut oil, lime juice, and the chopped fresh cilantro. Combine well.
- Pour the lime and cilantro mixture over the sweet potatoes and toss thoroughly.
- Spread the Cilantro Lime Sweet Potatoes out on a large baking sheet and sprinkle with the salt and pepper.
- Bake the sweet potatoes in a 375 degree oven for 45-50 minutes. Toss the sweet potatoes half way through the cooking process. Tip: Depending on how small your cubes are you may need less or more cooking. at the 30 minute mark star testing the texture with a fork and cook until they are your desired tenderness. We like them at the 45 minute mark.
I am a southern girl through and through that loves to laugh, cook, read and spend time with family. My passions outside of home schooling my son are ministering to those in need and creating art in the kitchen! Every day is an adventure in our little house and I wouldn’t trade it or the chance to share here with you for anything!