Low Carb Bacon Ranch Cauliflower Salad
This is one of my favorite low carb options for a cold side dish. It is perfect for family dinners and it is always a good choice for your next summer cookout or potluck.
I don’t even miss potato salad any more since I have made this salad with cauliflower. I think the cauliflower is a fantastic veggie and deserves a lot of credit here.
It is super mild and absorbs all the great flavors you mix with it like the bacon and ranch. Even my 7-year-old son, who believes he does not like cauliflower, told me he loves this dish.
That says a lot coming from him. I have said this before and it is still true, he is my toughest food critic!
To make this recipe start by steaming two pounds of cauliflower until it is tender, then let it cool. I like to leave my cauliflower firm but tender so it has a nice texture and doesn’t turn into mush. I often use two (16 oz) bags of frozen cauliflower florets as a short cut, but you can make this with fresh cauliflower if want to.
While your cauliflower is cooling mix together your dressing by adding the sour cream, mayo, and the dry ranch mix into a large bowl and mix it well.
I use a ranch mix I make here at home because I don’t like to buy the store-bought packages. We avoid buying packaged mixes due to our practice of avoiding MSG and all the added fillers.
I use and love this Ranch Mix from Qwen’s Nest. It is so good and she gives you recipes for bulk or a small batch so you can try it out. Yum! If you don’t want to make your own and don’t mind using the store packages then just do what work best for you and your family.
For those that follow a low carb or THM eating plan I highly recommend you make your own to avoid the carbs from fillers in the packages, but again that is just my suggestion.
Once you have those three mixed well you can add in the chopped green onions, bacon shredded cheese and your cooled cauliflower. The only thing left to do now is stirring the mixture thoroughly so all the cauliflower gets coated in all that bacon and ranch goodness.
I suggest that you chill your salad before serving it, but you don’t have to if you need it quickly. I usually try to make mine a head so it can sit in the fridge or cooler before we eat it.
Just like how all flavors have time to meld together as it chills and oh my what a delicious flavor it is! This side is perfect side with chicken, pork or a nice juicy grilled steak.
Oh man how about a Ribeye and this salad? Oh be still my “meat loving” heart!! That meal is what dreams are made of my friends!
A low carb alternative to potato salad. Tender Cauliflower, bacon , cheese, and a creamy ranch dressing.
- 2 pounds of fresh or frozen cauliflower florets
- 2/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped crispy bacon or real bacon bits
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 3/4 cup of Daisy Sour Cream
- 1/2 cup of real mayo
- 2 tablespoons of dry low carb Ranch Mix
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Steam your cauliflower until it is tender but not mushy. Set it aside to cool.
- In a large bowl add the sour cream, mayo and dry ranch mix and mix until combined.
- Add in rest of the ingredients including your cooled cauliflower and stir until everything is mixed.
- Make sure all the cauliflower is coated well in the dressing.
- Taste the salad and adjust the seasoning to your liking. You may need to add some salt and pepper or more of your ranch mix.
- The salad will absorb some of the dressing as it chills. If it gets a little dry for your liking you can add a bit more sour cream or mayo before serving.
- Chill the salad before serving.
I am a southern girl through and through that loves to laugh, cook, read and spend time with family. My passions outside of home schooling my son are ministering to those in need and creating art in the kitchen! Every day is an adventure in our little house and I wouldn’t trade it or the chance to share here with you for anything!