These Cauliflowers Cakes are my low carb version of the traditional fried Potato Cakes like many of us used to enjoy. These hey are much healthier and cooked in the Air Fryer. The recipe is so flavorful thanks to a combination of cheese and smoky bacon!
Disclaimer: This recipe post is a collaboration in which I partnered with GoWise USA. In the recipe post, I’ll be featuring their 12/7 QT Air Fryer Oven Deluxe which they supplied for my recipe and review. They also are providing a coupon code where all my readers and YouTube follower can receive 10% off their purchase.
Cauliflower Cake Victory!
Cauliflower is a staple in our home as it is in many low carb homes out there, I’m sure. This vegetable is so versatile and can be used in so many recipes. Not only can it be used in soups and pizza crusts it is also used often as a healthier alternative to potato dishes. For my Top 25 Cauliflower Recipes click HERE.
For years now I’ve wanted to use cauliflower to replace the starchy potato in one of my old favorites, potato cakes. If you’ve never tried a potato cake you have missed out. They are basically repurposed mashed potatoes doctored up with cheese, bacon, and maybe onions then fried until crispy in a skillet. Man, are they good!
I’ve can’t tell you how many times I’ve tried to duplicate those potato cakes using cauliflower and failed. Until now that is!
In my past attempts, I’ve tried frying my cauliflower cakes in a skillet with oil as you would the traditional potato versions, which would cause my cauliflower cake recipe to take a wrong turn. Aka… a total grease-soaked disaster, yuck!
But those days are gone thanks to my new found love of the air fryer! I’m so excited to finally able to share these Air Fried Cauliflower Cakes with you guys today!
Let’s Talk Air Fryers, Shall We?
So I’m always reluctant to hop on the latest trends for kitchen gadgets. It’s so easy to fill up your counter space or cabinets with new equipment that never gets used, right? That’s why I’m super picky with what types of kitchen appliances I buy. I mean it took me almost two years to get an Instant Pot, which I now love.
So naturally, I was the same when air fryers took off. I’ve taken my time and done a lot of research on air fryers, watched closely as all the delicious recipes come out and then decided to take the leap and try one!
I thrilled to partner with GoWise USA as they generously offered to send me one of their 12.7 QT Air Fryer Oven Deluxe in the color of my choice. The product comes in red, white, and black. All are super cute, but I chose black to match my other appliances. Which color would you choose?
At first, the larger size made me wonder if it would e worth the extra counter space it would take up since it is larger than other air fryers I’ve seen. However, I soon realized exactly how much this air fryer could do.
You guys, it is not only is an air fryer, you can use it to bake, roast, fry, and it is also a rotisserie! Oh, and the fact that it can be used as a dehydrator meant I could reduce one another appliance from my counters!
Here’s more on the Air Fryer Oven Deluxe:
- FAMILY-SIZED & SPACE SAVER: 12.7 quarts of cooking space makes this air fryer one of the largest on the market, while still being compact enough to fit easily on your countertop. 3 rack levels allow you to prepare family-sized quantities or control how fast and how crispy your food cooks.
- BUILT-IN ROTISSERIE: Prepare whole roasts, tenderloins, racks of Kababs, and even a whole chicken! Get crispy, tender meats, perfectly blackened fish, and expertly roasted vegetables with the GoWISE Air Fryer Oven’s built-in Rotisserie – it’s fast, easy, and you’ll love it!
- INCLUDES 10 ACCESSORIES: Comes with 10 accessories – everything you’ll need to make a homemade meal with ease. Accessories include a rotisserie tong, rotisserie rod, oven rack, drip pan, skewer rotisserie, rotisserie cage, rotisserie steak cage, shallow mesh basket, and two mesh trays.
- EASY-TO-USE: Easy to read, simple to use control display with 15 presets takes the guesswork out of cooking times and temperatures. Cook for convenience or to impress without ever having to turn on the range. And when you’re done, the stainless-steel interior and remove-able, non-stick drip pan makes for easy clean-up.
- 50 RECIPES TO GET YOU STARTED: Your purchase includes a recipe book specifically made for the GoWISE USA Air Fryer Oven. Get started today with 50 step-by-step recipes to explore all that your new kitchen gadget has to offer.
So far I’ve had this machine for over a month and a half and my family and I have loved it. I’ve used to do Bangin Ranch Chicken Legs, sweet potato fries, hot dogs for my son’s birthday party that people thought I had grilled, low carb cornbread, and so much more.
You can check out more about GoWise USA on their Facebook Page and their Instagram Page! Oh and GoWise is offering each of you 10% off your purchase through my link HERE for your own Air Fryer Oven Deluxe through November 30, 2109! At check out use my code MYTABLEOFTHREE!
Now, let’s cook some Cauliflower cakes!
Prepping and Cooking The Cauliflower Cakes
This recipe is so tasty with all the cauliflower, cheese, and bacon. The recipe is easy to mix up and form into cakes. However, it does take a little extra time to chi the cakes before the cooking begins.
This not only gives all the flavors time to marry together, but it also is a huge factor in the cakes keeping their form as they cook in the air fryer.
Unlike my past failed attempts at frying these in oil, the air fryer cooks the cakes perfectly crispy without them being oil soaked. This recipe makes 12-14 nice sized Cauliflower Cakes, so it may take you several batches depending on the size of your air fryer.
With my GoWise model, I had to both the mesh trays that come with the machine and it still took me two batches. I like to give the cakes plenty of space when cooking so the air fryer can do it’s magic when crisping them up!
This recipe is one of our new favorite side dishes. I have made them serval times now and served them with all types of proteins. You guys, they are so delicious and even more indulgent if you top them with some sour cream and more green onions. I hope you are excited as I am about your air fryer and all the great recipes you can make with it.
Thanks for stopping by, and stay tuned for more new air fryer recipes here on the blog!
These Cauliflowers Cakes area low carb version of the traditional fried Potato Cakes like many of us used to enjoy. Except they are much healthier and cooked in the Air Fryer. They are so flavorful thanks to a combination of cheese, chives, and of course bacon.
- 2 (12 oz bags) of frozen Cauliflower Florets
- 1 1/2 cups of Shredded Cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped bacon or bacon bits
- 1/4 cup of THM Baking Blend*
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 green onion, chopped finely
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- To begin preparing your Cauliflower Cakes, cook the cauliflower per the instructions on the packaging. The key is to make sure the cauliflower is extremely soft as if making creamed or mashed cauliflower.
- Once cooked be sure to let the cooked cauliflower drain extremely well.
- Next add the cauliflower, cheese, bacon, seasonings to a mixing bowl and combine well. This is a great time to taste the mixture and adjust your seasonings like salt if needed.
- Add in the large beaten egg and THM Baking Blend into the mix and stir it until all is mixed in. See notes about the Baking Blend below this recipe.
- Next, add parchment paper to a baking sheet. Begin making the cauliflower cakes by using a medium ice cream or cookie scoop to measure each cake into your hand.
- Carefully pat the cauliflower mixture into a round cake and place it on the baking sheet. Continue this step until all the mixture is gone.
- Chill the Cauliflower Cakes for at least 1 hour before cooking. This will help the cakes hold together better when you cook them.
- To Cook, the Cauliflower Cakes, spray the Air Fryer trays with cooking spray to prevent sticking then place several cakes on each tray and cook the cakes on the "Fries" setting of the GoWise Deluxe Air Fryer Oven. for 12 minutes.
- At 12 minute remove the trays from the air fryer and carefully flip the cakes over for another 6 minutes.
- Serve the Cauliflower Cakes hot.
- Topping Options: a dollop of sour cream, a sprinkle of chopped green onions and extra shredded cheese.
- If you do not have THM Baking blend any low carb baking mix will work. You can also use cauliflower flour if you can find it at your local stores.
- Any type of shredded type of cheese will work. I've used Cheddar and Monterey Jack.
- Taste the mixture before adding the egg and baking mix if you need to adjust seasoning.
- I use the GoWise 12.7 QT Air Fryer Oven Deluxe for this recipe. Adjustments may need to be made to fit your air fryer.
I am a southern girl through and through that loves to laugh, cook, read and spend time with family. My passions outside of home schooling my son are ministering to those in need and creating art in the kitchen! Every day is an adventure in our little house and I wouldn’t trade it or the chance to share here with you for anything!